Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Book project

Chelsea Merrill

Michaela Burbank

Chris Smith

Tunisia Bey

Stephanie Acosta

 

Comm 304- Conference and Group Leadership

                While bringing my brother to school yesterday I saw something that did not settle very well with me.  I looked around the room and saw young students waiting for class to start and realized the generational gap that is slowly killing the success of our society.  I observed students teetering away on frivolous technology.  One students was watching an Iggy Azalea music video.  Another was playing a game that I can only guess that they outcome was how many people you could shoot in 30 seconds.  These students were glued to their iPhones and tablets.  So often we here about teenagers and adults being addicted to their phones, but these are 8 year olds.  Not a single child in this classroom had a book.  I saw a bookshelf in the corners that was full of literacy.  Unfortunately, it sat there solemnly collecting more dust than an antique shop. “Why weren’t these students reading?” I thought to myself.  I reminisced on the days that I spent countless hours with my nose in a book.  I’m not sure at what point childhood pastime switched from reading to texting, but I knew one thing for sure, lack or reading was becoming a huge problem.

                It has come to my attention that the education system is lacking in many ways.  Graduation rates are plummeting.  Students are dropping out of high school and college like it’s the Huger Games.  Lower graduation rates lead to a less educated workforce.  How can we expect our economy to thrive if we don’t have well qualified professionals in important fields?

                Reading does more than just entertain children.  It teaches the basic fundamentals for critical thinking and applied analysis.  Reading books provides children with the building blocks of becoming self- aware, competent members of society. We cannot expect our children to learn basic communication skills and rational thinking if they spend their days filling their spongent minds with crap. Psychologist stress that young children are very venerable to the world around them.  They observe everything and apply it.  Therefore, if they see crap, they will learn crap.  If they see knowledge, they will learn knowledge. 

1.                   Putting books in the hands of children is one of the best things that we can do for their future and our own.  By educating children at a young age and teaching them critical thinking skills, we will be giving them the tools that they need to successful future members of society.  It has also come to my attention that not all students have access to the resources for education.  That is why my group members and I participated in a book drive.  To help guarantee that all children have access to educational materials.  Below is a link to a video that my group and I created to showcase just how important books are to our children.  If you have any questions or are looking for ways to get involved please comment below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment